Commercial Art Director
Guardian News & Media (GNM) is the publisher of the US news website www.theguardian.com/us, the Guardian and Observer newspapers and www.theguardian.com website in the UK. We're a highly regarded global news brand, owned by the Scott Trust — an arrangement that guarantees its independent voice in perpetuity.
Guardian US is an entirely digital operation that seeks to engage US readers by combining the Guardian's internationalist, online journalism with US voices and expertise.
We are looking for a Commercial Art Director to join the marketing solutions team for the New York region at Guardian US.
Job title: Commercial Art Director, Marketing Solutions
Reports to: VP, Marketing Solutions
Location: New York, NY
Terms & Conditions: Full-time, permanent
Purpose of Role: The Art Director plays an important role within the Guardian US Marketing Solutions department, collaborating on a variety of brand and co-branded projects. The key aspect of the role is to develop conceptually creative ideas and the ability to work independently as well as in partnership with internal teams and clients. Robust client management and presentation skills are required.
Key responsibilities & accountabilities:
- Collaborate with Marketing and Branded Editorial Directors to generate ideas for pitches and proposals
- Execute multiple projects from concept through completion
- Present and communicate effectively with clients and internal teams
- Develop and frame creative concepts in line with creative briefs and budgets
- Resource and art direct external talents for enhanced creative executions
- Ensure quality meets standards and prepare deliverables for handoff to clients, developers, printers, or for final publication
- Understand and work within Guardian brand guidelines for creating designs and materials
Key contacts & relationships (internal and external)
- Marketing Solutions team: Marketing Directors, Project Management, Branded Editorial Director; VP, Marketing Solutions; Sales teams, Account Management teams
Knowledge & experience
- A bachelor’s degree in graphic design or a related field
- 5+ year’s design and digital marketing experience
- 2+ years experience as an Art Director
- Understanding of Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of HTML, CSS, JS and AfterEffects is a plus
Skills & aptitudes
- Graphic design skills
- Layout skills
- Creative service
- Analytical skills
- Artistic ability
- Communication skills
- Computer skills
- Time-management skills
- Attention to detail
- Acute vision
All candidates interested in applying should upload a resume and cover letter. All candidates must have the right to work and live in the United States.
Guardian News & Media is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin or citizenship. We value and respect all differences in all people (seen and unseen). We aspire to provide inclusive working experiences and an environment that reflects the audience we serve, where our people have equal access to career development opportunities, their voices are heard, and they can contribute to our future.
This job description is a guide to the work you will initially be required to undertake. It summarizes the main aspects of the job but does not cover all the duties that the job holder may have to perform. It may be changed from time to time to meet changing circumstances. It does not form part of your contract of employment and as your experience grows, you will be expected to broaden your tasks, suggest improvements, solve problems and enhance the effectiveness of the role.