SVP, Advertising, North America
Guardian News & Media (GNM), award-winning publisher of theguardian.com, is one of the largest English-speaking newspaper websites in the world. The Guardian was established 200 years ago in Manchester, UK and its pioneering journalism attracts over 150 million unique browsers every month globally.
Since launching in 2011, Guardian US has one of the fastest-growing audiences in the States and is a top-fifteen news publisher nationally. Headquartered in New York City, we are an entirely digital operation that seeks to inform and engage domestic and international readers about issues in this country, foregrounding US voices and expertise, focusing on topics like racial justice, the climate crisis and technology.
Do you have a passion for independent journalism and the mission-driven values and focus areas that make The Guardian so unique: honesty, integrity, courage, fairness, and a sense of duty to the reader and the community?
Are you an experienced Media Advertising Sales executive with a comprehensive knowledge of today’s complex digital landscape and trends, and the drive to translate creative ideas into successful action?
Are you a demonstrated, strong team leader with sound judgment who is passionate about developing, inspiring and influencing a senior team of sales and marketing executives?
We are looking for an enthusiastic SVP who will not only execute in the trenches, but also provide strategic leadership to our smart, committed team of sales professionals.
Reports to: President, Guardian U.S.
Normal location: New York, NY
Terms and conditions: Permanent, full time
Purpose of the role:
The Senior Vice President of Advertising will lead a team of advertising professionals to achieve Guardian U.S.’s digital revenue objectives. Responsible for all aspects of the advertising business for the US and Canada (inclusive of both direct and programmatic monetization), this SVP will establish US sales strategies, contribute to global ones, and lead the US organization to successful plan execution.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Develop comprehensive short- and long-term ad strategies to maximize revenues from ad products, programs and services. Provide the vision, leadership, and execution skills necessary to successfully implement these plans.
- Drive a continuing evolution of US direct and programmatic offerings, including taking the lead on programmatic performance, packaging and yield strategies and measurement.
- Work with product, analytics and ad operations to optimize on-site ad revenue without negatively disrupting reader experience.
- Act as the lead voice for the Guardian in the ad marketplace, advocating for the brand with high level marketers and partners (ad and ad tech), and elevating brand and company awareness in the US market.
- Develop new partnerships and opportunities or enhancements to support ad revenue growth.
- Think innovatively about changes in ad market legislation and technology and lead in the adaptation of new tactics and strategies to best address the changing landscape.
- Work closely with the Guardian’s global ad leadership team to develop and deliver best in class monetization of our assets through compelling global direct ad programs and other revenue optimization techniques.
- Advocate for US needs within the Guardian’s global priority-setting processes, including areas such as data strategy and product (centralized in London).
- Act as a source of education and understanding for the broader team and US organization in the programmatic and data/data privacy landscapes.
- Set and monitor individual and organization-wide ad revenue goals, budgets, sales targets,quotas and KPI’s.
- Develop an excellent relationship with editorial management to understand and advocate for advertising priorities within the content team and vice versa .
Knowledge & Experience:
- The ideal candidate will be an experienced executive with minimum fifteen years of digital media sales experience across direct and programmatic, and at least five years of experience in a leadership role.
- Superior relationship-building and collaboration skills across functional areas of the business. Proven ability to both open doors, close deals and maintain strong relationships with clients directly and with agencies.
- Experience with B2B / Tech, Auto, Entertainment, Corporate Social Responsibility budgets, and Financial Services for the news market a strong plus
- Variety of experiences in the programmatic & media space spanning various client types, DSP experience, and ad type understanding
- Strong interest in learning about and staying on top of key macro ad industry levers, from legislation around data privacy, to Google initiatives, to emerging revenue opportunities
- Proven track record of devising strategies for revenue growth in both direct sales and the OMP, and leading a team to achieve those goals
- Thorough understanding of pricing, packaging and inventory management strategies and tactics
- Results-oriented self-starter with the ability to meet deadlines and deliver excellent results in a fast-paced environment.
Key Contacts and Relattionships:
- President, Guardian US
- Lora Logan and Rik Robinson, Heads of Advertising Partnerships, Executive Directors
- Alexis Schwartz, Head of Purpose Partnerships, Executive Director
- Lauren Gabel, Director of Client Services
- Joyce Parente, VP, Marketing Solutions
- Claire Blunt, Chief Advertising Officer & CEO International
- Client and agency-side marketers and leaders
- External SSP's, AdTech vendors, and other AdTech consultants.
- Peers in the industry in other news/premium publishers
All candidates interested in applying should upload a resume and cover letter. All candidates must have the right to work and live in the United States and be located, or prepared to relocate, to the Greater New York Area.
Guardian News & Media is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin or citizenship. We value and respect all differences in all people (seen and unseen). We aspire to provide inclusive working experiences and an environment that reflects the audience we serve, where our people have equal access to career development opportunities, their voices are heard, and they can contribute to our future.
This job description is a guide to the work you will initially be required to undertake. It summarizes the main aspects of the job but does not cover all the duties that the job holder may have to perform. It may be changed from time to time to meet changing circumstances. It does not form part of your contract of employment and as your experience grows, you will be expected to broaden your tasks, suggest improvements, solve problems and enhance the effectiveness of the role.