Editorial director, branded content (leave cover)
Guardian News & Media (GNM) is the publisher of the US news website www.theguardian.com/us, the Guardian and Observer newspapers and www.theguardian.com website in the UK. We're a highly regarded global news brand, owned by the Scott Trust — an arrangement that guarantees its independent voice in perpetuity.
Guardian US is an entirely digital operation that seeks to engage US readers by combining the Guardian's internationalist, online journalism with US voices and expertise.
We are looking for a hands-on branded content director to support our sales team through December 2021. If you’re enthusiastic about ideating and executing best-in-class branded content campaigns smoothly and effectively, you’re the person we are searching for!
Department: Marketing Solutions
Reports to: VP, Marketing Solutions
Normal location: New York, NY (option for remote)
Terms and conditions: minimum 30 hours a week from September - December 2021
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
- Lead the Guardian US’s branded content strategy: Brainstorm and develop concepts that translate our clients’ objectives into compelling content that feels at home on the Guardian
- Work closely with the Sales and Marketing Solutions teams to craft strategic concept write-ups for pitch decks
- Shepherd branded content projects from ideation through to execution
- Collaborate with internal team members and external vendors to dream up and execute innovative multi-format branded content programs
- Source and assign freelance writers. Direct them in storytelling, edit these pieces and navigate client feedback
- Maintain a talent/expert pool for inclusion in programs
- Client-savvy: Join sales calls and present concepts in this client-facing role
- Manage organic social media for branded content programs
Knowledge, skills & experience:
- Must have at least 10 years of experience in the digital media and/or branded content space
- Editorial chops: confident wordsmith, writer, fact-checker and editor. Deep understanding of what makes a good (and editorially sound) story with legs
- Strong communication skills, time management, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Deadline-driven: Ability to to integrate into a fast-paced environment
- Nimble: Able to brainstorm ideas and formulate concepts across categories, brands and formats
Who you'll be working with:
- Joyce Parente, VP, Marketing Solutions
- Marketing Solutions team - Kim Cortes (Commercial Art Director), Charlotte Andaloro (Sr. Project Manager), Jessica Restrepo (Associate Director, Marketing Solutions), Dana Ramirez (Sr. Manager, Marketing Solutions), Isatou Kebbeh (Coordinator, Marketing Solutions)
- Michael Balabanov, SVP, Advertising, North America
- Sales team
All candidates interested in applying should upload a resume and cover letter. All candidates must have the right to work and live in the United States.
Guardian News & Media is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin or citizenship. We value and respect all differences in all people (seen and unseen). We aspire to provide inclusive working experiences and an environment that reflects the audience we serve, where our people have equal access to career development opportunities, their voices are heard, and they can contribute to our future.
This job description is a guide to the work you will initially be required to undertake. It summarizes the main aspects of the job but does not cover all the duties that the job holder may have to perform. It may be changed from time to time to meet changing circumstances. It does not form part of your contract of employment and as your experience grows, you will be expected to broaden your tasks, suggest improvements, solve problems and enhance the effectiveness of the role.