Programmatic Account Manager
Guardian News & Media (GNM) is the publisher of the US news website www.theguardian.com/us, the Guardian and Observer newspapers and www.theguardian.com website in the UK. We're a highly regarded global news brand, owned by the Scott Trust — an arrangement that guarantees its independent voice in perpetuity.
Headquartered in New York City, Guardian US, is an entirely digital operation that seeks to engage US readers by combining the Guardian's internationalist, online journalism with US voices and expertise.
Reporting to the Director of Client Services, the Programmatic Account Manager will use their industry expertise to build The Guardian’s PMP business while also supporting the sales team in expanding their client’s programmatic footprint with The Guardian. This role is crucial for the success of The Guardian and will have a significant impact on how the team operates as a multifaceted player in the digital advertising industry. We are looking for someone who is passionate about ad tech and about the role publisher’s play in that ecosystem. This role will be responsible for building upon our existing PMP business while also creating new PMP opportunities to increase revenue and maintain consistent growth.
Department: Commercial, Sales
Reports to: Director of Client Services
Normal location: New York, NY
Terms and conditions: Permanent, full time
- Drive revenue via programmatic platforms and new advertising opportunities for The Guardian
- Actively manage premium programmatic opportunities and help grow the level of business transacting through PMP deals
- Work with advertiser’s media planning, ad tech, creative, and analytics teams to develop strategies & identify appropriate technologies and targeting tactics
- Consistently analyze campaign performance, optimize as necessary, assist sales with renewals/upselling deals
- Collaborate with the sales team to set up new deals and troubleshoot all active deals successfully
- Develop relationships with all relevant SSP partners to ensure a full understanding of their platforms and products
- Become an expert in using and leveraging all partner UIs and reporting, providing weekly updates/insights to the team
- Become the resident expert on The Guardian’s programmatic capabilities and work with trading desks and agencies to showcase our programmatic offerings
- Work with product, analytics and ad operations to optimize ad strategy on the site
- Evaluate new providers and opportunities or enhancements to improve ad revenue
- Act as day-to-day contact for monetization partners including but not limited to DSP’s, SSP’s, Trading Desks and Ad Networks
- Act as main point of contact for sales team for programmatic questions and training on the programmatic landscape
- Liaise with the larger Guardian global team to knowledge share and make sure we are using best in class monetization and revenue optimization techniques
- Strong analytic skills with the ability to troubleshoot, problem solve and come up with creative solutions
- Ability to interpret data, identify trends and act on gained insights
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to liaise and work across multiple departments (sales, finance, marketing, etc.) & countries in an effort to evolve the yield/programmatic vision
- Strong moral compass, integrity
- Ability to work in fast paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Comfortable speaking with clients/agencies and presenting on sales calls
Education & Experience:
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent in Marketing, Business, or related field preferred.
- 2+ years experience within the programmatic advertising space
- Knowledge of ad serving technologies such as Google Ad Manager
- Experience with web troubleshooting tools such as Firebug, Charles, Chrome/Safari Inspector or Web Developer Tools
- Proven track record of programmatic success and driving revenue growth
- Experience presenting at client and agency meetings
- Experience working in the news, publishing, or media industries strongly desired
- Client or agency experience is a plus
All candidates interested in applying should upload a resume and cover letter. All candidates must have the right to work and live in the United States and be located, or prepared to relocate to the Greater New York City Area.
Guardian News & Media is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin or citizenship.
We value and respect all differences in all people (seen and unseen) at the Guardian. We aspire to inclusive working experiences and an environment that reflects the audience we serve, where our people have equal access to career development opportunities, their voices are heard and can contribute to our future.
This job description is a guide to the work you will initially be required to undertake. It summarizes the main aspects of the job but does not cover all the duties that the job holder may have to perform. It may be changed from time to time to meet changing circumstances. It does not form part of your contract of employment and as your experience grows, you will be expected to broaden your tasks, suggest improvements, solve problems and enhance the effectiveness of the role.