Guardian Media Group (GMG) is a leading global media organisation, the publisher of the Guardian, which celebrates its 200th anniversary in 2021, the Observer and the Guardian.com, which attracts over 200 million global unique browsers each month. We are renowned for our ground-breaking independent journalism and our award-winning digital products.
We are now growing our Data Design Team and looking for Data Developers to design and build the data models by which we collect, structure and use our data across The Guardian.
About The Role
- Design and implementation of the conceptual, logical and physical models which will allow the business to get maximum value from our data.
- Work on a truly modern data stack (dbt, Airflow, Fivetran and Tableau).
- Work closely with the business customers to determine requirements, both at a high and detailed level, analysing our operations, priorities and existing programmes.
- Understand and document how operational/source systems work (process flows), their data models at the source and logic required to be applied in the ETL pipelines in order to build the Data Warehouse models.
- A wealth of experience creating data models in a consumer-orientated organisation.
- Business Analysis and requirement gathering: experience of gathering and documenting requirements to deliver model designs that meet business objectives.
- 2+ years’ experience writing complex, analytical SQL.
- 2+ years’ experience designing ELT pipelines. You know the implications, in terms of design, of full vs incremental extracts/loads, backfills, idempotence.
- You have experience working in an environment that champions proper data governance.
You can see the full job description here
How to apply
To apply, please upload your latest CV and a cover letter which outlines why you’d love to take on this role, and why you’re a great match for what we’re looking for.
The closing date for applications is Wednesday 28th July 2021.
The Guardian offers a competitive benefits package including a generous pension, healthcare, dental insurance options, cycle to work scheme and 2 paid volunteering days per year.
We have a strong commitment to your learning, development and wellbeing, with hundreds of different courses available - ranging from bite-sized e-learning courses, to on-site workshops and professional certifications.
It’s the talent, energy and commitment our people bring to our business that make us who we are. Across our business we have some of the brightest and best people in media and beyond: award winning journalists, cutting edge commercial teams, industry leading digital talent and much, much more.
We are a vibrant and diverse community with many events groups and forums to get involved in. Our Kings Place offices overlook Regents Canal, with the newly-developed Coal Drops Yard, Granary Square and St Pancras Square shops, restaurants and pop-ups.
We value and respect all differences (seen and unseen) in all people at the Guardian. We aspire to have inclusive working experiences and an environment that reflects the audience we serve, where our people have equal access to career development opportunities, their voices are heard and can contribute to our future. The Guardian actively encourages applications from BAME candidates.
At The Guardian, many of our staff work flexibly and we will consider all requests for flexible working arrangements.